Appraiser - 12 Month ROSTER
Company: Department Of The Treasury
Posted on: May 21, 2023
WHAT IS THE LARGE BUSINESS AND INTERNATIONAL (LBI) DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas:
LB&I, Eastern Compliance Area
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
* Performs unique, often controversial, and precedent setting appraisals of real and personal property where the appraisal will have significant tax impact, affect large segments of taxpayers, and will involve intense public scrutiny, with potential to affect legislative change. Provides expertise to government attorneys on cases with probable litigation potential. Serves as expert witness in U.S. Tax Court or U.S. District Court.
* Personally performs appraisals and reviews appraisals prepared by recognized experts and authorities in the industry and other valuation specialists in the group. Conducts conferences with taxpayers, representatives, and experts to explain findings which are often vigorously contested. Prepares appraisal reports which represent the Service's position and documents conclusions with accurate facts and arguments for unagreed issues.
* Examines and appraises extensive property holdings in estate portfolios of prominent, recognized business, entertainment and industry leaders often widely publicized and intensely scrutinized.
* Serves as a team member on CEP and large business examinations. Identifies and develops significant issues which may be unusual and unique, subject to interpretation and may be adopted as the Service position in all similar cases. Issues are often complicated by numerous layers of related corporations and partnerships, self serving contracts and legal agreements, creative financing and conflicting economic or business options and alternatives.
Conditions of Employment
STANDARD POSITION DESCRIPTIONS (SPD):
Visit the IRS SPD Library to access the position descriptions.
* If you are in a telework eligible position, you may be directed to temporarily telework on a full-time basis due to COVID 19. Employees must be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. Once normal operations resume, employees may be directed back to the office to perform the duties of their position. Telework eligibility does not guarantee telework; employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
* Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: GS-13 LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. To be qualifying your experience must demonstrate knowledge of:
* Appraisal principles and concepts needed to serve in a developmental capacity as a technical authority where you will be required to analyze and evaluate newly emerging valuation theories to establish conformity with Service policies and industry standards;
* Experience using knowledge of tax laws, regulations, rulings, and court decisions sufficient to interpret law and apply it to valuation issues which may be controversial and potentially precedent setting and where recommended determinations may affect widespread segments of taxpayers, industries and communities and involve intense public and legal scrutiny;
* Experience applying knowledge to a broad range of properties, interests and issues of the most complex nature and unique characteristics that are often of a non-standard nature (e.g., nursing homes, marinas, oil tank farms, racetracks) as well as holdings in banking, brokerage and insurance industries, large and foreign controlled corporations, real estate investment trust (REITs) and large multi-million dollar estate portfolios of prominent individuals.
* Experience addressing problems that include: conflicting uses, complex legal problems, and structured agreements and financing arrangements between multiple related entities which disguise the substance of issues;
* Experience developing innovative methods and techniques for estimating the value of properties with unique and complex characteristics and proposing new or revised policies and procedures.
MEET TIME IN GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT: For positions above the GS-05, applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year (52 weeks) at the next lower grade level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the grade you are applying for.
TIME AFTER COMPETITIVE APPOINTMENT: By the closing date (or if this is an open continuous announcement, by the cut-off date) specified in this job announcement, current civilian employees must have completed at least 90 days of federal civilian service since their latest non-temporary appointment from a competitive referral certificate, known as time after competitive appointment. For this requirement, a competitive appointment is one where you applied to and were appointed from an announcement open to "All US Citizens".
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.
A copy of your transcripts or equivalent documentation is required for positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying based on education or a combination of education and experience. An official transcript will be required if you are selected. If the position has specific education requirements and you currently hold, or have previously held, a position in the same job series with the IRS, there is no need to submit a transcript or equivalent at this time. Applicants are encouraged, but are not required, to submit an SF-50 documenting experience in a specific series.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
* We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
* The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
* This is a bargaining unit position.
* Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday Day Shift - Start and stop times between 6:00am and 6:00pm.
* Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
* Please consider each location carefully when applying. If you are selected for a position at one of your location selections, that location will become your official post of duty.
This is an open continuous announcement which allows applicants to apply up to the closing date of the announcement, 09/14/2023. The announcement will be used to fill an anticipated 15 vacancies. Selections may be made from certificates issued up to 12 months after the 1st cut-off date listed below. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled at the locations listed in this announcement as they become available. Applicants need to apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of the following cutoff date to be considered 01/02/2023. This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 12-month period if needed, not later than 10 days prior to the additional cut-off date or the final selection date.
Keywords: Department Of The Treasury, Harlingen , Appraiser - 12 Month ROSTER, Other , Harlingen, Texas
here to apply!